Where do you go to find out if the security measures that you have in place are the best way to protect your home and family? Some police and/or sheriff’s departments offer security inspections. Make sure you use the general law enforcement phone numbers when calling for this information and not the emergency 911.
Here are some common home-security recommendations:
- Both sides of French doors need flush or slide bolts at the top and bottom.
- Exterior doors should be solid core models.
- Make sure that each exterior door has keyed dead bolts and striker plates with 2½ to 3 inch screws and install a wide-angle viewer in the front door.
- Add locking devices to the frame or cut a dowel to fit in the track.
- Double-hung sash windows need auxiliary locking devices or drill a hole at an angle through the top of the bottom window and the frame of the upper one and insert a nail or eyebolt.
- Pin tops and bottoms of sliding glass windows with nails in angled holes or add spring bolted, thumb-turn locks or anti-slide blocks.
Exterior of Home
- Install exterior lighting with a photocell and infrared motion sensor.
- Equip all gates with hardened-steel hasps and padlocks.
- Ask your law enforcement representative or insurance agent for suggestions for security systems companies.